Bring your strategic policy, program, and relationship management expertise to the Ministry of Colleges and Universities. We seek two highly motivated and collaborative leaders who have a firm commitment and desire to work with our partners to continue strengthening Indigenous postsecondary education and improving outcomes for Indigenous postsecondary learners in Ontario.
Consider these exciting strategic leadership opportunities to inspire teams to deliver on complex cross-cutting policy issues while promoting access, success and inclusion in postsecondary education for Indigenous learners.
We are hiring for two (2) manager positions:
• Manager, Policy and Programs Unit (12-month, with possible extension, temporary assignment)
• Manager, Strategic Initiatives Unit (permanent)
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code . Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Working in a dynamic environment, you will:
• provide leadership and guidance to professional staff engaged in a high-profile, fast-paced work environment
• lead and manage the planning, development, research and evaluation of strategic frameworks, policies, programs and resources
• provide expertise and advice to ministry executives, senior management and staff on policy options
• lead business strategies for transfer payment management and oversight to support ministry programs that support the success of Indigenous learners across Ontario’s postsecondary sector
• build and promote effective relationships with a variety of Indigenous postsecondary education partners and key stakeholders within Ontario
How do I qualify?
Strategic Leadership Skills:
• You demonstrate the leadership behaviours, attributes and mindsets to lead the Ontario Public Service (OPS) into the future
• You have experience providing strategic direction, guidance and coaching to staff
• You have experience fostering an environment of high performance, inclusion, learning, growth, and continuous improvement
• You demonstrate the ability to lead large-scale initiatives and high-profile projects to successful completion
• You have experience leading professional staff to achieve results on high-profile initiatives
• You have proven ability to establish priorities, identify critical issues, recommend options, meet tight deadlines and work under pressure on a consistent basis
• You have demonstrated skills in building organizational capacity through strategic and operational planning and effective management of financial and human resources
Policy Knowledge and Technical Skills:
• You have superior written, oral and interpersonal communication skills to effectively convey complex information, solicit input and provide sound advice
• You have knowledge of, and experience with, public policy and programs from design and development to approvals and implementation, and a thorough understanding of the decision-making and approval processes
• You have knowledge of project management principles to oversee and guide policy and program service delivery
• You can lead transfer payment oversight, including the negotiations, design and risk assessment to ensure policies adhere to ministry strategic objectives
• You have demonstrated experience leading research work involving qualitative and quantitative analysis, cost-benefit analysis and risk assessment
• You have the ability to gain an understanding of Indigenous postsecondary education policy directions, issues and trends to provide authoritative policy advice and lead initiatives
Relationship Management Skills:
• You have demonstrated ability to engage with Indigenous peoples and organizations to promote partnerships and respectful and inclusive relationships
• You have in-depth knowledge of the cultural and social trends and issues within the First Nations, Métis, and Inuit communities
• You have political acuity to anticipate, and respond to, politically sensitive situations
Manager, Policy and Programs Unit
• You have solid business knowledge of financial management and risk assessment to deliver transfer payment programs and manage the budget
• You have experience leading business, financial, and results-based planning processes for programs/operations and services
• You have the ability to lead design and development of funding models, processes and methodologies to support Indigenous programs and Indigenous postsecondary education
• You have demonstrated knowledge of the management and governance of data sets for policy analysis, including working with internal/external stakeholders and partners to identify data needs and relevant analytics
Manager, Strategic Initiatives Unit
• You have previously led the development and implementation of stakeholder management strategies
• You have the ability to represent the government in bi-lateral or multi-lateral discussions and negotiations
• You can build linkages to collaborate effectively with ministry partners to ensure the Indigenous perspective is reflected and integrated in the development of programs and policies that impact Indigenous learners
• You have the ability to support activities, learning and events in the ministry to expand knowledge of Indigenous peoples, histories and communities
Salary Range: $90,348 – $136,530 Per Year
• 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months (with possibility of extension), 315 Front St W, Toronto, Toronto Region
• 1 Permanent, 315 Front St W, Toronto, Toronto Region
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 196052, by Wednesday, March 29, 2023. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
To apply for this job please visit www.gojobs.gov.on.ca.