Number of Vacancies: 1
Hourly Rate: $45 – 55/hour
Duration: 18 months
Hours of work: 35
Location: Darlington Energy Complex (DEC), 1855 Energy Drive, Courtice
Company: Ontario Power Generation
• Assist Supervisor and other staff in administering the organization, coordination and execution of assigned project(s) within multidiscipline project portfolios. Provide technical support on matrix project execution teams. Under direction of Supervisor or delegate, prepare and facilitate project documentation. Within scope of accountability, ensure appropriate Project Management and Contract Management governance is followed.
• This rating depicts the organization and reflects the accountabilities as stated at the time of the Last Change Date of the job document. Line Management should review the current organization and consult with their HRBP for rating validity prior to applying new employees to this job.
• Assist Supervisor and more senior staff with coordinating and controlling defined stages of project management in accordance with Project Management governance for assigned projects or project packages in various project phases, as circumstances require.
• Assist with implementing approved Project Management processes for phase-gating, integration, scope, schedule, cost, change control, estimating, communications and reporting, and risk.
• Support Supervisor and senior staff in managing the engineering, procurement and construction of assigned projects, ensuring all project objectives and commitments are controlled and delivered within targets of safety, quality, budget and schedule.
• Support Supervisor and senior staff in the preparation of Business Case Submissions to senior management, the Executive Office and the Board of Directors, for project approval and the release of funds. Assist in the preparation and coordination of all information pertinent to an assigned project and alternatives to be considered for input into planning
• Maintain close liaison with field construction forces and operations on matters involving design, schedules, costing and other related issues under the guidance and with assistance of senior staff. Assist in providing immediate and higher management with regular project or work package reports. Monitor, evaluate and report on cost and schedule, and manage changes. Review cost variance reports, provide explanations and recommendations for disposition of variances, and take corrective actions when required.
• Resolve and assist with the resolution of issues and problems, as necessary to ensure that project deliverables are achieved as per plan, and that any changes to scope, schedule and cost are managed and approved in line with process and procedure.
• Maintain communications with internal and external stakeholders, regulatory bodies and agencies, and cooperate with the exchange of relevant information as required to meet the project objectives. As assigned, arrange and chair meetings involving appropriate stakeholders with a given project. Guide and direct discussions involving internal staff, contractors, manufacturers, suppliers and the like, in an effort to efficiently and effectively meet project objectives. Coordinate the preparation of project turnover documentation and ensure completeness. Document and address outstanding project deficiencies.
• Visit various site locations, manufacturers and suppliers, as required. Be prepared to observe plant sites and installations in Canada and outside the country to observe manufacturing progress, techniques, equipment, etc. Provide input as required, and utilize knowledge gained for Ontario Power Generation application.
• Support maintaining the awareness of, and keep assigned project parties informed of latest construction, budgeting, estimating and scheduling practices and other corporate procedures. Support the review and maintain awareness of all Corporate and local procedures pertinent to project control and administration. Maintain process compliance during project execution and advise supervisor if compliance cannot be achieved.
• Maintain an awareness of technological advancements in project management, engineering and construction. Review technical publications and other literature. Communicate with project management counterparts internally and externally to discuss views on improved processes, designs, products, methods and techniques.
• Requires a knowledge of physics, engineering principles, mathematics and chemistry as related to industrial and power generation equipment. Requires a knowledge of economics and business principles to provide project cost estimates and forecasts.
• Requires a knowledge of project management principles, specifically the five (5) primary project phases (Identification, Initiation, Definition, Execution, Close-out).
• Requires a good knowledge of English, both oral and in written form to effectively communicate with others and to prepare concise reports.
• Requires this knowledge to organize, assist others in coordinating various phases of an assigned project in accordance with project management governance and the application of sound technical skills.
• This level of knowledge is normally acquired by successful completion of a 4-year university degree in an appropriate area plus completion of post-secondary courses in project management and business economics as it relates to project and asset management or by having the equivalent level of education.
• Requires experience pertaining to the following to become familiar with processes and controls for projects in order to perform an effective role:
• Project management, specifically, experience in reviewing project requirements and plans, preparing cost estimates, participating in request for proposal and contract bidding and award processes and projects in execution and close-out phases.
• Assisting with the management of conflicting priorities of scope, schedule, cost and quality. Equipment and processes in a generating station or similar heavy industry. Problem solving.
• Cost accounting and forecasting as it relates to project management.
• Commercial contracting methods, contract management, construction methods, codes and standards, quality assurance and health and safety.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Effectiveness as a team player to understand and work with various internal and external groups in order to facilitate objectives and ensure projects satisfy stakeholder requirements. Environmental protection and associated concerns.
• Assisting in the management of projects of increasing complexity.
• A period of over 2 years and up to and including 4 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.