Founded more than a decade ago, RAVEN (raventrust.com) is a registered charity that raises funds supporting Indigenous Peoples’ access to justice and environmental justice. RAVEN stands for Respecting Aboriginal Values and Environmental Needs. Its core work provides Indigenous Peoples reliable, long-term financial support to fully assert their legal rights in court for the benefit of their communities and the broader environment. RAVEN has enjoyed rapid growth since its inception, and now raises over $1M each year towards its mission.
RAVEN is seeking a new Executive Director
As the key spokesperson for RAVEN, the Executive Director holds a crucial leadership position in the organization. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director assumes responsibility for agency operations directly or through other reporting directors and managers consistent with agency policies, goals and values and in accordance with legal, statutory, constitutional and other requirements. The Executive Director has the authority to direct the implementation of the organization’s fundraising campaigns and educational programs, use the agency’s resources in the delivery of programs, and is responsible for the management of all staff members, contractors, and volunteers.
RAVEN is looking for the following experience in its next Executive Director:
• Minimum of 5-years of experience in a senior leadership position, preferably in a like-sized non-profit
• Demonstrated success in fundraising and the First Nations sector
• Experience working with indigenous communities; understanding of the landscape
• Board governance experience
Skills and Abilities:
• An understanding of constitutional law, colonization, and reconciliation
• Seasoned leadership and staff management skills; ability to manage a diverse and growing team
• Superior interpersonal skills, with an ability to lead all aspects of the agency’s personnel – Board, volunteers, staff
• Demonstrated financial and business management skills
• Knowledge of charitable non-for-profit corporations
• Superior written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to produce publication-quality writing on tight deadlines
• Ability to manage crisis situations and to respond to external demands and internal pressures
• Commitment to the values, mission and vision of RAVEN
• Relevant bachelor’s degree
• Law degree or legal education (an asset)
CORE AREAS OF COMPETENCY:
Leadership – implies an ability to lead others, including diverse teams. The “team” in our organization should be understood broadly as any group with which the person interacts regularly.
Strategic Orientation – is the ability to link long-range visions and concepts to daily work, ranging from a simple understanding to a sophisticated awareness of the impact of the world at large on strategies and on choices.
Teamwork and Cooperation – is the ability to work cooperatively within diverse teams, work groups and across the organization to achieve group and organizational goals. It includes the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.
Organizational Awareness and Judgment – implies an understanding of the organization in the broader context of the community, the region, provincially, federally and internationally. It is the ability to assess the how, the why and the implications of decisions and choices on the health of the organization.
What RAVEN offers in return:
• Competitive salary ($130k – $140k)
• Benefits (health and dental)
• Flexible work arrangements from within commutable distance (Victoria, BC)
This search is being conducted on behalf of RAVEN by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this information – we would be pleased to connect with them.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website, in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To submit your application by February 20, 2023, visit RAVEN’s job posting at https://crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/job-openings/#/posting/PR-247 on crawfordconnect’s Job Openings page (https://crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/job-openings/).
Select the role and ‘Apply’ by uploading your cover letter and resume in two separate documents.
Issues with applying? Please email email@example.com.
For more information about the position, please contact Gina Eisler at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 647.529.5106.