Residential Counsellor (Full-Time, Maternity Contract)
Classification: Bargaining Unit
Date Ad Posted: September 13, 2018
Application Deadline: Until filled
Anduhyaun’s mandate is: To support Aboriginal women and children in their efforts to maintain their cultural identity, self esteem, economic, physical, and spiritual well being.
Due to the nature of the organization’s culturally based social services, Anduhyaun encourages applications from Aboriginal women (Section 24(1)(a), Special Employment, Ontario Human Rights Code).
Under the supervision of the Shelter Director and/or designate, you will provide counselling, intake, departures, goal planning and referrals. You will also be expected to follow all Violence Against Women (VAW) guidelines and adhere to the Ministry of Community and Social Services Contract applicable to the delivery of service.
· Must possess a Bachelor of Social Work degree or diploma in Social Services or equivalent
· Must have knowledge of anti-oppression & anti-racism principles and incorporate them into all modes of service delivery
· Must have a minimum two years working experience in a Shelter and/or Transitional Housing Environment
· Demonstrated knowledge of Aboriginal issues and diversity within the community
· Knowledge of the available “on and off reserve” resources
· Demonstrated computer competency
· Valid First Aid and CPR certificate
· Current Police Reference Check
· Strong working knowledge of Child Protection Protocol and other relevant Legislative Acts such as VAW Guidelines, Social Housing Reform Act and the Indian Act
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Excellent documentation skills
· Superior written and communication skills
· Ability to work well as a contributing team member
· Ability to work with minimum supervision and be a self starter
· Ability to speak an Aboriginal language would be a definite asset
· Ability to handle stressful/crisis situations and react appropriately
Interested applicants are invited to submit their cover letter and resume via fax 416-920-4891, addressed to Lisa Powell, Acting Shelter Director, Anduhyaun Inc. or emailed to email@example.com.
While we wish to thank all applicants for their interest, only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. Please no phone calls.