At CMHC, we trust you to get the job done. Since January 2019, we’ve shifted from managing people to managing work. Each employee is 100% autonomous and accountable. You can choose where you need to be and when you need to be there to meet your objectives. You’re in control of your time and are trusted to make the right decisions.
Second Language Teacher (Position can be located anywhere in Eastern time or Halifax)
Help make a difference for Canadians. CMHC’s aspiration is that by 2030, everyone in Canada has a home that they can afford and that meets their needs. All of our programs and activities support this singular goal.
Be part of an inclusive workplace. Diversity and Inclusion guides everything we do at CMHC. We’re taking concrete actions to eliminate racism and embed equity into our culture, processes, programs, and policies so that they reflect the lived experiences of all Canadians.
Join the People and Strategy sector in the Language Services Team, where we have the focus, the people and the voice to achieve our aspiration. You will identify, develop, implement and evaluate a variety of activities and initiatives to teach the second language to employees at the National Office, facilitating continued maintenance and development.
This is a full-time permanent position that can be located anywhere in eastern time or Halifax (NS).
• Provides in-class and online language training to CMHC employees to maintain and improve second language proficiency as per official languages requirements or for succession planning and development purposes, using a customized lesson plan including reading, writing, understanding and speaking activities. Also provides preparatory, remedial and maintenance language training.
• Monitors learners’ progress through formal and informal evaluations; provides progress reports with formal constructive feedback on language training progress, and formulates strategies to overcome difficulties.
• Conducts research into second language learning, selects learning methods adapted to the different styles of the learners and stays informed on current and innovative adult learning methods.
• Provides advice and guidance to managers and employees on strategies and options to address gaps in language proficiencies.
• Anticipates and addresses issues and barriers with respect to language training and the achievement of learners’ personal language training goals.
• Prepares and submits relevant weekly, monthly and quarterly reports.
• Undergraduate degree in education, linguistics, literature or relevant area of study. Equivalent experience may be considered.
• Teaching French/English as a Second Language Certificate, Adult Education Certificate or Oral Exam Certification.
• Minimum of three years of experience as a second language teacher for adults.
• Expert knowledge of the functional elements of grammar, sentence structure, and vocabulary; a comprehensive knowledge of adult learning and education concepts, theories, practices and techniques; knowledge of new language training trends, methodologies and options.
• Demonstrated ability to manage a classroom in a professional adult learning environment.
• Ability to identify and anticipate needs, develop learning strategies and programs and evaluate progress and learning.
• Experience and proficiency with Microsoft Teams and other virtual presentation platforms.
Posting closing date: Note, the competition may remain active until filled.
CMHC values diverse backgrounds and experience and welcomes non-Canadians who are eligible to work in Canada to apply!
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
Job Requisition ID: 5700
Language Designation: Bilingual
Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak): PPP
Travel Requirement: Occasional
Office Location: Ottawa (ON); Halifax (NS); Montreal (QC); Toronto (ON)