About the Institute for Canadian Citizenship
The Institute for Canadian Citizenship is a charitable organization that champions inclusion through active citizenship and advocacy. We are delivering grassroots programs for new Canadians and mobilizing an international coalition to create a future where people, policy, and places are inclusive by default.
At the ICC, we know there is no silver bullet to address growing polarization, so we tackle it from both sides:
– with on-the-ground programs to directly support and welcome new Canadians; and
– with advocacy and thought leadership to change the public discourse.
The communications team is a driving force within the ICC – supporting and working collaboratively with all our programs and event teams. The success of our mission and the scale of our impact depends on strong strategic communications across multiple platforms, in English and French.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about storytelling. We interact with incredible and inspiring people through our work and we need someone who can generate content and narratives, and then pitch them to media.
Reporting directly to the Director of Communications, the successful applicant will both lead the ideation and execution on all ICC media activities.
What you’ll do:
· Continually seek out and create opportunities to place stories in all types of publications
· Monitor media to find opportunities, track issues, and update staff on relevant news
· Develop media strategies for major events and advocacy campaigns
· Develop creative media-focused content ranging from press releases and written pitches to digital and video content
· Build and maintain strong relationships with traditional and new media across the country
· Provide writing and editing support to teams across multiple programs to help promote their activities
· Coordinate with partner organizations on co-promotion and amplification of ICC communications
· Prepare key messages and brief CEO for media appearances
· Liaise with external PR agencies to support our international events
· Recommend and track key performance indicators to measure success of earned media strategies
We’re hiring just as much for the right fit as the right experience. The ICC is the right place for you if you are passionate about making a positive difference through your work.
What you have:
· Experience in media relations, journalism or related area, portfolio of proven story placement an asset
· Understanding of earned vs paid media strategy and experience creating media plans
· Proactive and highly motivated – will take initiative to pitch ideas to Director
· Superior writing and editing skills that can communicate complex ideas in a clear and engaging manner
· Strong knowledge of current communications tools and trends in digital/social media
· Demonstrated ability to problem solve, manage multiple concurrent projects with tight deadlines.
· “All hands on deck” mentality – no job is too big or too small, we work as a team
Additional qualifications that would be an asset:
· Fluency in French
· Experience with CMS, CRM systems, and media analytics tools
· Skill in web development, coding, and/or video editing
· Experience with social/digital marketing
Please include a brief bio/introduction of who you are in your email (note: this is not a cover letter). Only applicants who are being considered will receive a response. We can’t wait to meet you.