Guided by Catholic values and teachings; a fundamental belief in strengthening families; and the mandate of the laws of Ontario, the mission of the Society is to protect and advocate for the wellbeing of children within the City of Hamilton.
The Catholic Children’s Aid Society of Hamilton is committed to having a workforce that is reflective of the diversity of the city of Hamilton and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals, especially those who can provide different perspectives and contribute to a further diversification of ideas.
Legal counsel is integral to supporting our mandate of child protection. As the successful candidate you will be responsible for all activities related to protection applications involving pleadings and court attendance, including trials and motions. Reporting to Senior Legal Counsel, you will work in partnership with child protection and managerial staff to advocate for effective permanency planning for children.
This position involves stepping into an active caseload of litigation files.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
• Proven family litigation, mediation and negotiation skills.
• Familiarity with the legal framework governing child protection in Ontario.
• Substantial litigation experience, including motions, conferences, trials and appeals.
• Excellent analytical, advocacy and writing skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to professionalism, integrity and building partnerships.
• Ability to work in a publicly accountable organization.
• Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Search and internal records check.
• Excellent leadership, organizational, and proven problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and cooperatively as part of a team.
• Bilingual French/English would be an asset.
• Comply with health and safety policies and the Ontario Health & Safety Act.
• Committed to anti-oppression values of justice, equity, respect of the beliefs and traditions of others.
• Committed to Society values of Success for Children, Youth & Families, Service Excellence, Integrity, Human Dignity & Respect, Communication & Collaboration, Compassion, Shared Accountability and Our Team.
• Under the direction of the Senior Legal Counsel provides advice and assumes all court and legal duties as assigned, including applications initiated by the Society pursuant to the Child, Youth and Family Services Act and any appeals to the Divisional Court and the Court of Appeal. Court activity also includes any other matters where the Society is named as a party, or is required to provide a legal response and evidence.
• Provision of advice includes assisting case managers in all legal aspects of their cases, whether they involve court activity or not. Advice is providing in all phases of litigation, as well as on more general, agency-wide issues.
• Provides consultation/advice regarding initiation of Protection and Status Review applications.
• Reviews and revises applications and accompanying affidavit material.
• Drafts court documents, including notices of motion, minutes of settlement, settlement conference briefs, and factums.
• Manages assigned files with a view toward resolution in the best interests of children including the following activities:
> Correspondence and telephone contact with counsel;
> Provision of ongoing advice and consultation to case managers and other agency staff;
> Negotiations toward settlement;
> Prepares for court attendances including preparation of witnesses and legal argument, coordination of documentation etc.;
> Facilitates, as required, expert assistance and assessments.
• Represents the Society at various court attendances, in person or virtually, including:
> First appearances (including place of safety hearings);
> Settlement conferences and trial management conferences;
> Motions, including motions regarding disclosure and access to records;
> Temporary care hearings;
> Administrative list;
> Assignment court;
• Provides general advice regarding legal issues, and attendance at internal committees/meetings involving legal issues.
• Provides emergency consultations as needed.
• Meets regularly with the Legal Unit to discuss unit issues and problem-solve on specific cases.
• Seeks advice and consults with the Senior Legal Counsel as required.
• Involved, as assigned, in court-related community activities, including court-related liaison committees and the OACAS.
• Coordinates work with supervisor, and follows the direction of the supervisor after consultation when required.
• Completes mandatory training and participates in ongoing agency training.
• Demonstrates leadership and a commitment to the principles of anti-oppressive practices and anti-racism based on justice, fairness, equity, respect of the beliefs and traditions of others.
• Complies with agency Health and Safety policies and the Ontario Health and Safety Act, and regulations.
• Committed to the Society’s mission and vision.
• Performs other duties as may be assigned.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Knowledgeable of, and ability to conduct daily activities in a safe and secure manner complying with employee obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, Society Health, safety and security policies and procedures. Reports and makes right any unsafe condition, practice and/or condition.
The role description is provided without prejudice to any management rights and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
Reporting to: Senior Legal Counsel
Employment Terms & Hours of Work: FT Permanent; 35 hours per week
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis up to 11:59pm December 12th, 2021
Apply in writing by submitting an updated resume to: email@example.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building an inclusive process
that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities.
If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process
please inform Human Resources.